Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Trip One: Griechenland

Soo now I've been to two countries other then the USA- Germany and Greece! Wow, they both start with G's, random. Anywho, I went to Greece this past weekend with my friend Brittany and it was pretty awesome. We flew into Athens Friday night and entered the world of betas and sigmas. We didn't stay there long, hopped on a ferry to take us to Santorini Island. Yep, a Greek Island (Abba songs have just entered my head... oh mamma mia). It was an overnight ferry, which was quite interesting. We found a nice pair of chairs to make "beds" out of, and I am using that word loosely haha. A few Dramamine later and I was able to get a few hours of sleep. We arrived to Santorini at 8 am and thought, okay now what?! I should mention Brittany and I left Munich with no plans or confirmations. No plans, just go.

Santorini is one of the greek islands where the buildings look like they are going to fall off the cliffs they are perched on. Think of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with the donkeys walking up the stairs and you've got Santorini. We got a hotel in the main city, Fira or Thira, still don't know what its name actually was haha. We took a wicked windy road to get to the top of the cliffs. Then we checked into our hotel and got an amazing breakfast. I got a chocolate and banana crepe, Mmmmmmm. We decided to take a boat tour to volcano on the island next to Santorini. It last erupted in 1950, and remains a dormant volcano. We had to take cable cars to get down to the port, again, HUGE cliffs. So then we sailed to the volcano and also some hot springs. The water was a beautiful, aqua blue. We almost took the donkeys back up the cliffs, but it was hot and well, they smell. No I didnt actually smell em, but hey, they're donkeys.

View from Oia

Buildings in the Cliffs


That night we decided to go to Oia, or Ia (again, no idea) for the sunset. It's another city on Santorini. We got some dinner at a restaurant with an amazing view. Brittany got stuffed calamari and well, I thought it looked pretty disgusting. Blehhhh. Then we found a pretty awesome spot to take in the sunset. Too bad it was still an hour away and very uncomfortable haha. So many people came to watch the sunset too. It was quite amusing to see where people would climb to find that special spot to call their own. Since ours was so awesome, people kept standing behind us and bumping into us. This was a bit frustrating and I'm pretty sure I threatened to punch everyone around us in the face at one point (no, only to Brittany, I'm not that brave). Sunset was cool, people were not. 'Twas a cluster. We somehow got out of the crazyness of AEIOU and sometimes Y and made our way to Perissa Beach.

Brittany at Dinner

Sunset at Oia

People watching sunset at Oia

Perissa Beach is known for its black sand, something you can even appreciate at night. There we sat on some beach chairs and looked at the ocean and stars. Brittany wanted to go swimming but I was lame and freezing haha. Sunday morning we took a ferry back to Athens.


Donkeys!

Kitty! (sideways) I will take you home, wash you and name you Fluffy!

Athens was .... hot, so very hot. It's hard to pretend you care about old stuff when its like 90+ degrees outside. But we did see some exciting things. Its crazy how they built this city around ruins. Like I'm pretty sure we saw a tunnel that was supposed to be for the subway but then they found more ruins so they stopped haha.


Old Ruins in the middle of Athens

Ruins

A view of the Parnthenon

A view of Athens, from the top of a laaaaaaaarge hill

I think I solved equations for some of those letters in college

Greece overall was pretty interesting. You can tell they've definitely got some money issues but they seem to be surviving. It was a lot of traveling for a little beauty, but it was totally worth it. Plus I saw a donkey, legit, a donkey!

Awesome:
- Dinner served on the planes, I can't even remember the last time I got peanuts on a US plane.
- Sitting on a boat and singing "I'm on a boat AND its going fast AND..."
- My sweet new Ray Bans, best 10 euro I've ever spent! haha

Lame:
- Europeans, Personal Space and their lack of understanding each other: All I kept thinking this weekend was "Move biatch, get out the way." Seriously Luda must have wrote those lyrics after a trip to Europe because my personal space bubble was popped every 5 seconds.
- Sunburn: Ahhhh sun, why do you hate me so!?

Mamma mia ... here I go again :)

No comments: